Followers

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Pugs of August Soiree Day...

Yippy! Finally it was August 20th today, the day of the Pugs of August Soiree. Whoopi! For any Pug, this is bigger than Christmas.

I knew this must be the day when Mom dressed me in my new dress. Here I am wearing it at home before we left.

Here's a close-up of the back of my dress.

Don't you think it's stunning? When I go outside it sparkles in the sunshine. I just love it!

The Pugs of August is put on by a very nice man, who is a Pug lover, named Craig. He lives in a house that has a huge backyard. A hundred or so Pugs show up for this shin dig.

Mom drove me and Auntie Arlene and Billy over to Craig's house. I got kind of scared as we headed for the gate to go in. There was a huge drain next to the road that spooked me out. So Mom carried me over to the gate and into the backyard.

I immediately was freed from my leash and began moving around, getting acquainted with all of the Pugs, some of whom I remembered from last year.

Pretty soon Mom saw Auntie Mary Ellen and Auntie Kim, so we all kind of hung out together. By the time we got there, most of the humans were already eating, so Mom took off to find herself some food. Here's a picture of some great Pug cupcakes, one of which Mom ate.

Here's a close-up.
Of course, I wanted to eat too. Luckily, Mom takes really good care of me. After she was done eating, she took me out to the car and gave me my dinner.

When we came back from the car, Mom snapped a few photos.

Here's Auntie Mary Ellen and Gucci.

Here I am getting some loving from Auntie Kim and another Pug owner.

Here's Auntie Arlene with Billy.

Here I am with Mom.


Pretty soon the contests began. Bubba, Gucci's brother, won for the heaviest Pug at 32 1/2 lbs. I think that most of that weight comes from his tongue. Here's his photo.

The same three Pugs from last year won for best costume. I have to admit, they deserved it. Here they are in their Atilla the Hun theme.

Gucci also entered for best costume. He looked mighty handsome, don't you think?

There was a contest for the best trick and a cute black Pug won that by playing dead, when her master shot her with her finger. That was the cutest thing I saw.

Then came the race. Auntie Arlene held me at one end of the race track and Mom was a the finish line. I was so excited to run toward Mom, that I was like a wild horse trying to get out of the gate at the Kentucky Derby or something like that. Soon I was off and running. You can maybe see me, kind of toward the back of the pack, in the sunlight, fourth from the right. You probably can recognize me by my tongue.

I didn't win, but boy was it fun to be in that race. I feel good that I finished the race, running over the finish line into Mom's arms. Last year, I wandered off the track somewhere and Mom had a hard time finding me.

Next we went down by the swimming pool. Only two Pugs swam in that race. One of them swam straight to the finish line, and Zoey, a very small Pug, swam around in circles, until finally she saw her Mom and swam over to her and was helped out of the pool. Craig, being the great guy that he is, called the race as a tie and both Pugs got a squeaky toy.

After all of that I was pooped and also spooked by the swimming pool. I plopped down on the ground and wouldn't walk to the gate so we could leave. Mom had to pick me up and carry me out to the car.

Right now, I'm sound asleep, while Mom is writing my blog. I'm dreaming about the wonderful day that I had today and looking forward to next August. I'd better get busy and decide what I'm going wear!

2 comments:

Tweedles -- that's me said...

What a wonderful way to celebrate an awsome August day! You had so much fun, and I see why!! Races, and swimming contests!
I love your new dress. You are so beautiful!
love
tweedles

Bella Mia said...

Thank you, Tweedles, for your nice note...It was a wonderful day..
Sniff, Sniff,
Bella